TSSi's Company History Timeline
Tactical & Survival Specialties, Inc. (TSSi) is the oldest privately held professional tactical and special operational equipment supplier in the United States. Our original customer base was primarily U.S. Special Operations Forces, but over the past quarter century our business has grown and today TSSi’s customers include conventional military units, law enforcement agencies at the federal, state and local level, disaster response agencies, and defense contractors.
- TSSi graduated from the Virginia Leaders in Export Trade (VALET) program
- Awarded second 5-year U.S. Marine Corps FEODE Tool Kits contract
- Awarded second 5-year DLA SOE TLS contract
- Awarded 5-year FBI Body Armor Kits contract
- Awarded 5-year DLA Field Sanitation Kit contract
- Awarded second 5-year DLA DOD EMALL contract
- Awarded second GSA Schedule 84 contract at the conclusion of our original 20 year contract
- Awarded 5-year U.S. Air Force Battlefield Airman Management System (BAMS) contract
- Awarded 5-year DLA DOD EMALL contract
- Awarded 5-year U.S. Marine Corps Family of Explosive Ordnance Disposal Equipment (FEODE) Tool Kits contract (1st contract)
- Awarded 5-year U.S. Coast Guard contract to provide pre-positioning and logistics services to include kit assembly of Personal Protective Equipment “Push Packs” for response to Avian Influenza (H5N1) worldwide
- Awarded 5-year DLA Special Operational Equipment (SOE) Tailored Logistics Support (TLS) contract
- Awarded second GSA contract in 2009 (Schedule 78)
- Provided equipment and training to XVIII Airborne Corps to support elements deployed to Haiti in response to the January 2010 earthquake. Support included deployment of TSSi staff to Ft. Bragg and Haiti to provide follow-up equipment training.
- January 2001: Moved into our current 44,000 square foot headquarters facility with expanded space for operations, distribution, custom kit design and integration, and pre-positioning space
- Immediately after 9/11 attacks, TSSi initiated OPERATION RESPOND in which we coordinated with our suppliers to have 17,000 pounds of equipment delivered to our facility. We then consolidated this equipment and within two weeks delivered it to the NYPD Emergency Services Unit at Ground Zero in New York
- TSSi's exclusive TACOPS™ brand was trademarked to identify products that were designed and developed by TSSi to meet unique customer requirements
- Distributed the first catalog that addressed the three major operational areas where TSSi was now providing support: Special Operations, Homeland Security, and Disaster Recovery
- Provided pre-positioning and logistical support to a local disaster response organization who assisted the city of Long Beach, Mississippi, in recovering from the damage caused by Hurricane Katrina.
- Awarded first GSA contract in 1996 (Schedule 84)
- Awarded U.S. Army contract for Non-Ballistic Riot Body Shields and Face Shields
- Developed the Individual Disturbance Control Team Equipment and Individual Special Operations Response Team Equipment Kits for federal and state correctional facilities
- Awarded U.S. Army contract for Cold Weather Clothing package for UN Peacekeepers in Kosovo
- Awarded U.S. Army contract for Force Protection Inspection Mirrors
- Established TSSi’s national field sales force of regional representatives
- Began design/build of new TSSi facility
- Mr. Strang incorporated TSSi in 1990 and opened a 1,200 square foot retail facility in Harrisonburg, Virginia
- 1990 - 1991: Expanded our customer base to fulfill requirements for both conventional military and Special Operations Forces in support of OPERATIONS DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM
- Further expanded our customer base following the Gulf War to include law enforcement special operations units and SWAT Teams across the United States
- 1992: produced the first of its kind full line tactical equipment catalog of around 500 pages. Subsequent catalogs became a trademark of TSSi’s commitment to the special operations community
- During this period, established TSSi’s custom kit design, development and integration process to fulfill unique customer requirements
- Expanded into international business when we received our first contract to support allied Special Operations forces
Tactical & Survival Specialties was founded in 1980 by retired U.S. Navy Senior Chief Petty Officer Bill Strang. Mr. Strang ran the business out of his home for the first few years, providing tactical equipment to military units and federal agencies, as well as local law enforcement agencies.
TSSi continues to evolve every day to stay abreast of the latest trends and technologies so we can meet and exceed our customers' requirements. Our employees take pride in their work and in supporting those who put themselves in harms way every day. We are committed to TSSi's Mission and Vision Statements:
We provide mission focused, time sensitive, value added equipment and logistics services solutions, delivered with uncompromising integrity - anytime, anywhere.
To be recognized industry leader providing mission-focused equipment, logistics services and innovative, integrated solutions for military, law enforcement and disaster response professionals worldwide.